- The court dismissed six accusations of rape and one count of sexual assault
- This is after a six-month trial
- The Jury is yet to reach a verdict on his two other counts of rape and sexual assault
The six accusations of rape and one count of sexual assault against Manchester City football player Benjamin Mendy have been dismissed.
After a six-month trial at Chester Crown Court, the jury could not find the defendant guilty of one count of rape and one count of attempted rape.
The prosecution requested the retrial, and it was set for June 26. Additionally, the three counts of rape against Louis Saha Matturie, 41, were dismissed.
On three accusations of rape and three counts of sexual assault against him, the jury could not reach a conviction.
The player’s Prestbury, Cheshire, home and a Manchester apartment were both allegedly the sites of rape allegations against Mr. Mendy and his companion Mr. Matturie.
Authorities informed the jurors. Mr. Mendy was a “predator” who made it a game to pursue ladies for sex.
However, defence attorneys also told the jury that while the case involved money, sex, and celebrity and had “all the makings of a fantastic drama,” there was a crucial “plot twist” in that the defendants were actually innocent.
As the jury foreman repeatedly said “not guilty” to the six counts pertained to four young women or teenagers, Mr. Mendy covered his face with both hands.
The seven males and four females on the panel, one of whom had already been excused for medical reasons, delivered their unanimous verdicts on Wednesday.
The results could not be announced until the jury had finished deliberating the final two counts. Jurors were granted a majority instruction by Judge Steven Everett, who stated that he would accept a result of 10-1 as long as they had finished deliberating the other two counts.
However, after 14 days of deliberation, the jury could not decide regarding Mr. Mendy’s claimed attempts to rape a lady, age 29, in 2018 and a second woman, age 24, in October 2020.
On Friday, Judge Everett released the jury, ending the trial. Since August 10th, both men had been on trial for several alleged sexual offences made by 13 different women.
Prosecutor Matthew Conway announced that the prosecution would ask for a new trial on the counts where the jury was deadlocked.“The prosecution has made a decision. We have made a decision today, which is to proceed on these counts in two separate trials and we seek today a provisional case management,” BBC reports.
Manchester City in a statement that it was “not in a position to speak further at this time” due to “open circumstances linked to this case.”
According to testimony given in court, Mr. Mendy’s life as a football player was “finished” due to the claims and trial, and he would “never escape” them.
Mendy has seen the worse of 2022, spending months locked up in jail before being granted bail under strict terms. He painted a grim picture of hardships in UK prison while maintaining his innocence.