- The latest tennis news 2022 is surprising and promises a new year full of on-court bliss
- The 2022 season had so much to talk about
- Now, Djokovic will surprise many people
As the year winds up, the latest tennis news 2022 is surprising and promises a new year full of on-court bliss.
The 2022 season had so much to talk about. Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic carried the day in it all with controversy following his disapproval of the Covid-19 vaccination.
First, he was detained in Melbourne over this and later deported. He missed a chance to play in the Australian Open. Months later, he caused yet another storm after being locked out of the U.S. Open due to non-vaccination.
Ashleigh Barty also took many by surprise with her decision to retire after winning the Australian Open 2022. Well, it’s a year that had so much going on. Let’s look at what the year-end has for tennis.
WHAT’S THE LATEST NEWS ABOUT TENNIS?
Here is the latest tennis news 2022.
EMMA RADUCANU HEALING FROM ALL INJURIES
After her exhibition match with Wimbledon’s runner-up Ons Jabeur in Abu Dhabi on Friday, Emma Raducanu claims she is now injury-free and “fantastic.”
Back and palm injuries plagued the British teen throughout the season. It was a stumbling block to reclaiming her glory after winning the US Open Grand Slam in 2021.
Raducanu says she worked effortlessly on her fitness and is optimistic things will change in 2023.
EMMA RADUCANU APPOINTS NEW COACH
Raducanu recently announced that she hired 30-year-old German coach Sebastian Sachs. The German who helped Belinda Bencic win an Olympic gold medal last year is optimistic he will change the fortunes for the teenager.
The German has had great success as a coach despite having a brief playing career on the Futures tour. In the past 18 months, Raducanu has had five coaches total. The 20-year-old British national first collaborated with Torben Beltz and, subsequently, Dmitry Tursunov this year.
Despite Raducanu’s improving performances following Wimbledon, Tursunov decided to end the collaboration after this year’s US Open. The Russian said there were red flags and possible issues later on if she kept listening to too many voices in late October 2022.
VENUS WILLIAMS GETS WILD CARD TO 2023 AUSTRALIAN OPEN
Venus Williams, 42, has been given a wildcard to play in the Australian Open in January 2023. After making her tournament debut 25 years prior, the American will return to Melbourne for the event’s start on January 16.
In 13 events last season, Williams only won three matches, but she hasn’t yet indicated that she’d like to retire like her sister Serena Williams.
Despite being a seven-time Grand Slam singles champion, she lost in the Australian Open final in 2003 and 2017.
BORIS BECKER IS OUT OF PRISON AFTER EIGHT-MONTH JAIL TIME
The latest tennis news 2022 has Boris Becker, a former Wimbledon champion, on the hook. After serving eight months of his sentence for concealing £2.5 million in assets and loans to avoid paying debts, Becker left prison.
A UK court jailed him for two and a half months in April 2022 for violating four violations of the Insolvency Act. He departed for Germany after being released from jail on Thursday morning. Reports have it that he was deported from the UK.
ALEXANDER ZVEREV IS BACK
The German tennis player is back after a six-month hiatus from an ankle injury he picked in mid-season.
FRENCH TENNIS PLAYERS JULES OKALA AND MICK LESCURE BANNED FOR LIFE
A 2014 investigation into numerous instances of match-fixing resulted in the lifelong bans of two French tennis players.
The 29-year-old Mick Lescure, who peaked at 487th in the world during his career, was found guilty of eight offences and fined $40,000 (£32,500).
Jules Okala, 25, was found guilty of seven offences and had to pay a $15,000 (£12,170) fine. His best-ranked position was 338. The International Tennis Integrity Agency filed the accusations.
WHAT TOURNAMENT WILL DJOKOVIC PLAY NEXT?
The latest tennis news 2022 is that Djokovic will start his season in Australia. Australian Open tennis officials allowed the Serbian tennis star to return to Melbourne in January 2023.
His three-year ban at the tournament was also lifted after a deeply controversial season.