Football

Cristiano Ronaldo’s bodyguards under investigation for ‘working illegally’

Cristiano Ronaldo
Cristiano Ronaldo's bodyguards Sergio and Jorge Ramalheiro. Photo/Mirror

Local reports have it that Manchester United forward Cristiano Ronaldo’s bodyguards are being investigated on suspicion of working illegally in Portugal.

Sergio and Jorge Ramalheiro – twin brothers – are now on unpaid leave from the police. They are a subject of an investigation into charges of allegedly offering unlicensed close protection services.

They could face charges of executing private security tasks without the consent of the police. And, according to reports, they will face disciplinary action through Portugal’s Public Security Police force upon their return.

When asked about the investigation, a PSP representative told the Mirror: “We do not comment on ongoing cases.”

Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo’s bodyguards Sergio and Jorge Ramalheiro. Photo/Mirror

Reports emerged last week that the Manchester United striker’s bodyguards served in Afghanistan with the Portuguese army.

Their previous lieutenant colonel described them as “physically and emotionally strong.”

Sergio and Jorge Ramalheiro were first assigned to a PSP close protection squad entrusted with guarding politicians and judges. They were then assigned with guarding Ronaldo, 36, his four children, and 27-year-old girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez.

According to Portuguese media reports, the guards were placed under investigation after being spotted twice working for Ronaldo in Lisbon.

The PSP wrote two reports for the prosecutor’s investigative unit in Portugal.

According to an insider, those operating in private security in Portugal without a police license risk serving a one- to a five-year prison sentence.

Anyone who hires unauthorized bodyguards on purpose may also face penalties in Portugal. However, there is no indication that Ronaldo is under investigation for any wrongdoing.

This new development comes as Ronaldo and Georgina revealed their pregnancy last month.

Meanwhile, Ronaldo has responded to France Football editor Pascal Ferre who said the Manchester United forward’s sole desire is to “retire with more Ballon d’Or than Lionel Messi.”

Ronaldo, a five-time Ballon d’Or winner took to social media on Monday to counter Ferré’s remarks in an interview with the New York Times ahead of the 2021 awards.

Nonetheless, the Portuguese, questioned that account of events, claiming on Instagram that Ferré “lied” during the interview.

In a statement posted on his Instagram page, he said, “Pascal Ferré lied and used my name to promote himself and to promote the publication that he works for.”

He added: “It’s unacceptable for the person responsible for handing out such a prestigious award to lie in this way and to show disrespect to someone who has always respected France Football and the Ballon d’Or. He lied again today to justify my absence from the ceremony due to an alleged quarantine that has no reason to exist.”

The 36-year-old Manchester United forward says he always congratulates whoever wins, in tandem with the sportsmanship and fair play. This, he notes, have underpinned his career since the start.

Lionel Messi with Ronaldo

Lionel Messi with Cristiano Ronaldo. Photo/Business Insider

He further quips that he congratulates those who win because he is never against anyone. For Ronaldo, any win he makes is personal and the club (s) he plays for. He reiterates that he never wins against anyone rather, it is for those who love him.

Ronaldo’s primary goal in life, he notes, is to win trophies at the club and international levels for his club and national team. He offers that his biggest goal in life is to offer a positive example for everybody who is or wishes to be a professional footballer.

Moreover, his greatest aim in life is to have his immortalized in gold in the annals of world football.

For now, Ronaldo’s mind is onto his club, Manchester United’s next match. His vision is how to make it work and win together with his teammates this season.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

SEO SMM Panel Buy Instagram Verification Badge Instagram Verification

The Latest

Sports Leo is the most trusted source of Sports News from across the continent. We are Africa’s leading sports news site for matches, sports updates, live scores, fixtures and highlights. Readers of SportsLeo come from all walks of life and they are united by one single thing. The love for sports. As Africa’s leading source for Sports, our readers attain insight on the lives of players, locker room and dressing room dramatics, news as they relate to specific sports, and of course betting tips.

For the latest news in sports, scores and more, sign up to our newsletter!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Copyright © 2022 Sports Leo.

To Top

For the latest news in sports, scores and more, sign up to our newsletter!

SUBSCRIBE NOW
close-link
P