The Africa Cup of Nationa – AFCON 2021 Best XI or if you like it, the team of the tournament has been revealed with Premier League stars Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Edouard Mendy all making the cut after a successful tournament for the trio.
Both Mane and Mendy tasted glory in the final, helping Senegal beat Salah’s Egypt on penalties taking home Senegal’s first-ever AFCON trophy in the history of the nation. The trio are joined in the team by fellow Premier League players Mohamed Elneny who plays for Arsenal and Leicester City midfielder Nampalys Mendy.
Paris Saint-Germain wing-back Achraf Hakimi also made the cut after netting two sumptuous free-kicks for his side Morocco during the tournament. Leading the line is Cameroon striker Vincent Aboubakar, who top-scored at AFCON 2021 with stunning eight goals.
Surprisingly, Mendy’s substitute was expected to be Egypt’s Mohamed Gabaski but it was Cameroon’s Andre Onana who plays for Ajax who made the cut at the bench.
The full team is listed below…
AFCON 2021 Best XI
- Edouard Mendy (GK) – Senegal
- Achraf Hakimi (RB) – Morocco
- Mohamed Abdelmonem (CB) – Egypt
- Edmond Tapsoba (CB) – Burkina Faso
- Saliou Ciss (LB) – Senegal
- Mohamed Elneny (CM) – Egypt
- Nampalys Mendy (CM) – Senegal
- Blati Toure (CM) – Burkina Faso
- Mohamed Salah (RW) – Egypt
- Vincent Aboubakar (ST) – Cameroon
- Sadio Mane (LW) – Senegal
- Andre Onana – Cameroon
- Collins Fai – Cameroon
- Kalidou Koulibaly – Senegal
- Mahmoud Hamdy – Egypt
- Ahmed Abo Elfetouh – Egypt
- Andre Anguissa – Cameroon
- Youssouf M’Changama – Comoros
- Bertrand Traore – Burkina Faso
- Sofiane Boufal – Morocco
- Toko Ekambi – Cameroon
- Famara Diedhiou – Senegal