Connect with us


No letting guard down, says Matano after draw with Gor Mahia

Humphrey Mieno heads the ball under pressure from Sidney Ochieng
  • Tusker drew 0-0 with Gor Mahia in top of the table clash
  • The brewers remain top of the table
  • There are three rounds of matches left

Tusker FC head coach Robert Matano says his team will keep their eyes on the prize after last weekend’s barren draw with Gor Mahia saw them remain top of the FKF Premier League standings.

Fate remains in Tusker’s hands heading into the last three rounds of the season, and they only need to win all their matches to retain their Premier League crown.

“We played really well and created many chances. We dominated the game and I am happy with the players and how they performed. We only failed to score. We had a goal which I believe was a clean one ruled out for offside but all in all we will keep fighting,” said Matano.

He added; “We will keep our focus for the next three matches. It is not done yet and the work ahead of us is a lot. We will work hard to achieve our target which is to defend our title.”

Meanwhile, Gor Mahia’s Jonathan McKinstry was left to rue missed chances, but reiterated they will keep fighting till the end.

Against Gor, Tusker had a good first half while Gor dominated a good chunk of the second half. They had several good chances in the opening exchanges, first Humphrey Mieno’s volley from the edge of the box going wide while Charles Momanyi headed just wide from a Levin Odhiambo cross.

Siwa’s effort comes off the post

Shaphan Oyugi in action against Gor Mahia

In the 38th minute, they came inches close to breaking the deadlock when Shaphan Siwa drifted in to the edge of the box from the left, but his brilliant shot was denied by the upright. Five minutes later, the Tusker man had another good chance when he pickpocketed Geoffrey Ochieng the ball in a dangerous area, stormed to the edge of the box but his low shot went just wide.

In the second half, Gor were faster off the blocks and forced Tusker to defend deep. They raided their goalline and twice, the brewers had to clear the ball a yard from goal.

Tusker thought they had a goal in the 70th minute when Shaphan tapped home from a Mike Oduor cross, but the goal was ruled out for offside, much to the dismay of the Tusker side.

The disallowed goal seemed to have ignited some fight in the brewers as they raised the tempo once again. Substitute John Njuguna came close and saw his effort cleared off the line after rifling a low shot from the edge of the box.

More chances for Tusker 

Alpha Onyango tackles Tusker’s Eric Mmata. PHOTO/Tusker FC

Mieno had another chance when he tried a shot from distance, but the ball flew just over the bar. Despite late efforts, Tusker couldn’t get a goal in their favour.

The fight for the title will now go down to the wire. Tusker will face Wazito FC in Muhoroni this weekend while Gor will battle Ulinzi Stars. After that, Gor face Kakamega Homeboyz and Nairobi City Stars while Tusker play Posta Rangers and relegated Vihiga Bullets.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Football