Connect with us


AFC Leopards book Kakamega Homeboyz in FKF Cup semis

Homeboyz celebrate their win over Sharks
  • Leopards thrashed Bandari FC 3-0
  • Homeboyz thrashed Kariobangi Sharks 6-1
  • The semi-finals will be played in three weeks

AFC Leopards have progressed to the semi-final of the FKF Cup and will take on Kakamega Homeboyz after both waded through their quarter final fixtures.

Leopards were 3-0 winners over Bandari FC, winners of the title in 2015 while Homeboyz thrashed Kariobangi Sharks 6-1.

Leopards and Homeboyz will renew rivalry, just less than a month after their aborted game in Kakamega.

Ingwe coach Patrick Aussems is searching for victory in this game, as they seek to add a trophy to their season.

“We are delighted of course to make it into the semi-finals. We made a good performance against a good team and to win 3-0 is really good for us. Now we focus back to the league but definitely the Cup is something we want to try and win,” said the tactician.

AFC shred Bandari within 25 minutes 

AFC Leopards celebrate their victory

AFC Leopards celebrate their victory

Leopards shred down Bandari within 25 minutes of the opening half. Victor Omune broke the deadlock from the penalty spot with an expertly taken kick. Leopards won a penalty after Jaffary Owiti was brought down by Keegan Ndemi insode the box.

Ndemi’s day went from bad to worse as he scored an own goal, brushing a header beyond his keeper as he tried to clear a corner from Eugene Mukangula.

Leopards concluded their chase with the third goal minutes later off a textbook counter attack. Off a corner, Mukangula set Jaffary Owiti though and the winger made a daunting run from his own half into the box and slotted home past the keeper.

Bandari tried to change the tide and had some chances with Umaru Kasumba seeing his effort go wide after lifting the ball over the keeper, while he had another effort from a Mohamed Siraj cross come off the bar.

In the early kick off, under pressure Sharks were put to the sword, losing 6-1 to Homeboyz, with their inexperience showing.

Homeboyz score after 37 minutes 

Action between Sharks and Homeboyz

Action between Sharks and Homeboyz

After a see saw start, Hillary Otieno broke the deadlock after 37 minutes when he looped a header over the keeper off a deflected shot.

It was quickly 2-0 two minutes later when Geoffrey Onyango scored in his own net. Homeboyz launched a quick counter on the right with Ambrose Sifuna cutting back a cross for Kevin Amwayi. The forward’s shot came off the bar and ricocheted off Onyango for the second goal.

Sifuna then put his name on the score sheet scoring Homeboyz’s third just before the break, running on to a long ball before striding into the box and shooting past keeper Kevin Ouru.

Five minutes into the second half, Keith Imbali pulled one back for Sharks with a shot from inside the box off a cross on the right.

But, Homeboyz restored their three-goal advantage just two minutes later when Vincent Ogola controlled the ball inside the box after a recycled cross into the area from a poorly defended corner, and slammed a volley past the keeper.

Sharks’ bid to however climb the three-goal mountain was clipped as skipper Kevin Luke Otiala was sent off for a second yellow card.

Homeboyz would use the numerical advantage well and they went 5-1 up when Felicien Okanda scored with 10 minutes to go after sliding past the keeper.

Sharks had a chance to grab a goal back from the penalty spot but keeper Faruk Shikalo made a brilliant double save, punching away Tyson Otieno’s effort and rising to block the rebound as well.

They would suffer later as Ogolla added his second and Homeboyz’s sixth with a simple tap in.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Football