The Ministry of Sports in Rwanda has announced that sports events, local and international, will resume in September due to the coronavirus pandemic.
In a statement on Thursday, the ministry said: “Based on the conclusions of the joint meeting between the sports ministry and sports associations in Rwanda, games and competitions will resume in September 2020, but preparations for the tournament will begin in August 2020.
“Sports federations have been advised to engage their member clubs, team officials, coaches and athletes to start planning accordingly.”
All major sports events were suspended on March 15 as part of the country’s efforts to curb the spread of Covid-19.
Rwanda has been under total lockdown since March 21.
The new development comes as most federations, such as the basketball federation, were hoping to resume their 2019–20 leagues after the government partially lifted the lockdown last week.
“Sports competitions shall resume after a risk assessment and based on guidance from health and security organs in charge of the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic and subsequent instructions by the government of Rwanda,” the ministry said.
The ministry added that it will, along with national federations, continue to monitor the evolution of the pandemic and the measures taken by international sports federations to inform its decisions.
“Until further notice, participation in all international competitions has been put on hold. The same applies to the hosting of international or regional games in Rwanda.”
Rwanda has so far recorded 271 cases of Covid-19, with no deaths, the health ministry reported on Thursday.
In partnership with ANA and Sports Leo