Tennis

Tennis SA cancel SA Spring Open due to COVID-19 pandemic

Tennis SA cancel SA Spring Open due to COVID-19 pandemic - Sports Leo

Tennis SA (TSA) on Tuesday announced the cancellation of the SA Spring Open scheduled to take place from September 27 to October 4 due to the novel coronavirus pandemic.

The combined International Tennis Federation (ITF) $15 000 Transition Tour and Wheelchair Tennis Grade II event will now be hosted in 2021, with dates to be announced in due course.

Following a thorough review of safety considerations, logistical challenges, financial constraints and potential restrictions on international travel posed by the pandemic, it was deemed not feasible to stage the tournament this year.

Mafadi Mpuru, managing director of Vision View Productions, the event sponsor, said: “The Covid-19 pandemic has posed real challenges to all of humanity, including the world of sport.  While still closely monitoring the developments in this regard, we look forward to a COVID-free 2021 when an exciting Spring Open can take place without a worry about the safety of players and the fans.”

TSA chief executive Richard Glover said: “We’re deeply disappointed at not being able to host the second edition of the SA Spring Open this year but this unprecedented decision was due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the uncertainty that this has caused to ensuring that the event could be staged successfully.”

South Africa as of Tuesday had recorded 151 209 Covid-19 infections, with 2657 deaths and 73 543 recoveries. The numbers have been skyrocketing in the country since the beginning of June when 34 357 total cases had been reported, and since then the infections have more than quadrupled. The average number of new daily infections has been consistently over 6000 per day since June 25.

In partnership with ANA and Sports Leo

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

To Top