- Spartak Moscow forward Quincy Promes is to be prosecuted in the Netherlands for allegedly smuggling cocaine
- The 31-year-old Holland international was previously charged in 2021 with attempted manslaughter or assault
Spartak Moscow forward Quincy Promes is to be prosecuted in the Netherlands for allegedly smuggling cocaine.
According to reports, Promes is suspected of having been involved with smuggling 1,360 kilos of cocaine to the Netherlands or Belgium in two shipments back in 2020. He has, however, denied those allegations. A pre-schedule hearing for the case involving the 31-year-old will take place in the Netherlands on Monday, June 5.
Promes’ lawyer Robert Malewicz did not reply immediately to a request for comment from Reuters on the case as his office’s phone went unanswered after business hours. Reuters contacted his office on Tuesday.
Dutch newspaper Het Parool quoted Robert saying he would give his comment on the case during a pro forma hearing which is scheduled for Monday.
“I will provide a further explanation during Monday’s hearing,” The Sun quotes Robert Malewicz.
According to news agency ANP, Promes will not attend the hearing in Netherlands because of contractual obligations with his club. The Russian Premier League season ends on Saturday and Promes is expected to be playing for his team on that day.
Cocaine smuggling is not the only case that Quincy Promes has in court. The 31-year-old Holland international was previously charged in 2021 with attempted manslaughter or assault. Promes, who won 50 caps for Netherlands, was accused of seriously injuring a relative’s knees in a stabbing attack at a family party in July 2020.
According to Dutch national broadcaster NOS, Promes stubbed the relative in front of several relatives after an argument in the party in Abcoude, a town just outside Amsterdam. The relative, who is his cousin, suffered serious injuries after the incident and pressed charges against Promes.
The relative told AD newspaper Promes “suddenly came at me” for reasons that were a mystery to him. Promes was playing for Ajax at the time of the incident.
The police arrested Promes and held him in custody for two nights after the incident while doing their investigations. He denied the allegations as you would expect and the case has been going on while he is in Russia playing for Spartak Moscow. Stabbing can be punishable by prison sentences of 24 to 42 months, as per NOS.
In February 2021, Promes was asked about the incident after joining Spartak Moscow and he said he leaves it to his lawyer while focusing on football.
“I leave it to my lawyers and try to focus on football. I have always done that.” BBC Sports quotes the 31-year-old.
Promes started his football career in 2011 with Twente. He spent three seasons with the Dutch club before moving to Russia where he joined Spartak Moscow.
In 2018, he moved to La Liga club Sevilla but struggled to impress. He was sold to Ajax in 2019 where he spent two seasons before returning to Spartak Moscow. At international level, Promes made his last appearance for the Netherlands as they were eliminated by Czech Republic in the last 16 in Euro 2020.