- Josh van der Flier followed in the footsteps of the likes of Johnny Sexton and Keith Wood to win the World Rugby Men’s 15s Player of the Year.
- New Zealand co-captain Ruahei Demant won the World Rugby Women’s 15s Player of the Year at the World Rugby Awards event.
On Sunday, Josh van der Flier won the 2022 World Rugby Men’s 15s Player of the Year at the World Rugby Awards.
The Ireland international followed in the footsteps of the likes of Johnny Sexton and Keith Wood to win the award in Monaco.
This is the second major award Josh van der Flier has won in 2022. The talented player had earlier won the 2022 EPCR European Player of the Year award.
Speaking after winning the Men’s Player of the Year award, van der Flier acknowledged the roles his teammates, coaches, and family have played in his career.
“I’ve been incredibly fortunate to have great teammates and coaches that have really pushed me on. As well, my wife and my family have supported me a huge amount. I’m lucky to have some very experienced and top-quality players in our team and in my position as well, both in Ireland and at Leinster. I’ve always felt that I’ve needed to have been playing at my best the whole time.” Josh van der Flier said, as per Sky Sports.
The 29-year-old, who married his wife in August, named the win over New Zealand as his highlight of the year.
Josh van der Flier played a significant role as Ireland moved top of the world rankings after securing a memorable away series win in New Zealand.
The Ireland flanker scored five tries in 11 tests. With such an incredible performance, it was not surprising to see van der Flier beat Jonny Sexton, Lukhanyo Am and Antoine Dupont for the big prize at the World Rugby Awards ceremony.
Ruahei Demant Wins Women’s 15’s Player Of The Year
New Zealand co-captain Ruahei Demant won the World Rugby Women’s 15s Player of the Year at the World Rugby Awards event.
Ruahei was competing for the award alongside France’s Laure Sansus, Canada’s Sophie de Goede, England’s Alex Mathews and fellow New Zealand international Portia Woodman.
Ruahei Demant produced an impressive performance during her side’s massive victory over England.
Other Winners Of the 2022 World Rugby Awards
- Ruby Tui – World Rugby Women’s 15s Breakthrough Player of the Year
- Wayne Smith, New Zealand Women’s 15s – World Rugby Coach of the Year
- Terry Kennedy – World Rugby Men’s Sevens Player of the Year
- Charlotte Caslick – World Rugby Women’s Sevens Player of the Year
- Ange Capuozzo – World Rugby Men’s 15s Breakthrough Player of the Year
- Abby Dow (England vs Canada) – International Rugby Players Women’s Try of the Year
- Rodrigo Fernandez (Chile vs US) – International Rugby Players Men’s Try of the Year
- Dr Farah Palmer – Vernon Pugh Award for Distinguished Service
- Tappe Henning – World Rugby Referee Award
- Bryan Habana – International Rugby Players Special Merit Award